National Pumpkin Day + Our Birthday
Guess what day it is?! (We love you if what comes to mind is a camel saying, “Mike, mike, mike, mike, mike…”). It’s National Pumpkin Day… AND it’s our BIRTHDAY! Say what?! Too. Much. Excitement. How did we get so lucky?
Call us #basic, but we are jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon. Heck, you’ll probably find us pulling the cart. But pumpkin has a lot more to offer than just flavoring for your PSL. Just ½ cup of pureed pumpkin provides only 50 calories, 3 grams of fiber, and more than double the recommended daily intake of vitamin A. You know vitamin A as the sexy one that supports immune function, vision, reproduction, and cellular communication. Truth be told, we think all vitamins are sexy, but we’re nutrition nerds like that.
So are you ready to go beyond your PSL and give the real deal a try? We’ve rounded up a few of our favorite recipes for you to try, both sweet and savory. Keep reading until the end for a Healthy Peaches original 😉
- Curry Pumpkin Soup: We love a little something unexpected, and this soup is just that. Make it, love it. Just be sure to save us a bowl.
- Chipotle Pumpkin Burger: Pureed pumpkin makes the perfect binder in this sweet and savory burger.
- Roasted Pumpkin with Chili and Feta: Sweet, and spice, and everything nice. There’s not one thing we would change about this one.
- Garlic and Rosemary Pumpkin Hummus: Kels actually thought of this recipe in the shower one morning. She thought she was a genius, but it looks like the internet got to it first. Oh well. Great minds…
- Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad: Check out all the flavors and colors in this one! It would be perfect as slimmed down Thanksgiving side. Because do we really need 14 casseroles…
- Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites: We love a good energy ball before a workout. But these cuties take the cake, or uh, pumpkin pie.
- Pumpkin Zucchini Chocolate Bread: Let’s be clear. Monique from Ambitious Kitchen is a queen. #lifegoals. Also, her recipes are too die for. We love that this sweet bread gets the punch of not one, but TWO veggies. Like we said, queen status.
- Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats: We make these on the regular as soon as we see one leaf fall. Want to mimic your favorite PSL? Add a splash of cooled espresso. That’s a treat to get you out of bed.
- Pumpkin Pie Truffles: The Real Food RDs are the real deal. And their recipes are REAL good. If you make these, be a pal and send a few our way. Please and thank you 😉
- Drumroll, please. Introducing our very own… Pumpkin Paleo Doughnut! We can’t think of a better way to kick of our birthday celebrations than with one of these babies. Join us in making them, and let us know what you think.
Pumpkin Paleo Doughnut
These doughnuts are super moist thanks to a healthy dose of pumpkin puree. Feel free to dust with cinnamon sugar or chocolate drizzle of your choice when they come out of the oven.
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a nonstick doughnut pan.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Step 3 In a medium bowl, whisk together the canned pumpkin, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla.
- Step 4 Gently fold in the wet ingredients to the dry. Fill the doughnut molds and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Step 5 Feel free to dust with cinnamon sugar or chocolate of your choice.
Thanks for sharing our birthday with us!!
Kel & Kels